Col. John Streett House
Holy Cross Road, Street, Harford County
The Colonel John Streett House stands on a slight rise in the midst of a large, open field just east of Deer Creek. The house is composed of three brick sections, two of which are original and one a late 19th century addition. The original c. 1805 dwelling consists of a 2 1/2-story, five-bay, gable-roofed main section and a two-story, two-bay attached kitchen. South façades on both sections are laid in Flemish bond with beaded mortar joints. The main section has a through center stair hall separating two equal-sized rooms (each with a flush, gable-end chimney). The plan is identical on all stories. The kitchen wing has two unequal-sized rooms on the ground floor and a large loft room above, reached by a closed, corner stair. Interior finishing is of excellent quality and is also remarkably well preserved and unaltered. Notable features are the six-panel doors (complete with architrave molding and backband), paneled doors, chair rails, dining room and second-story bedroom cupboards, and four excellent mantels, at least one of which retains its original gray marbleizing. Several doors also retain their original mahogany-grained finish and brass hardware.
The Colonel John Streett House is important for its architecture and for its association with Colonel Streett (1762-1837), a man prominent in local politics and a hero of the War of 1812. Architecturally, the house is among Harford County's best and most intact examples of Federal style. While not as ambitious as the extremely elegant Sion Hill, it is locally comparable in scale and material to the main section of Olney, although the Streett House is arguably a better representative of the Federal era than Olney since it remains virtually unchanged and intact while the 1810 portions of Olney are overshadowed by later, even grander additions which make that slightly eccentric house truly unique. Moreover, the details of the Streett House, such as the marbleized mantels and grained doors, are unsurpassed in the county. Historically Colonel Streett, the builder of this house, was a prominent man in Harford County. He came from a family of landowners and farmers who remained for generations influential in Harford and Baltimore counties' political affairs. Streett himself ran a 3,000 acre estate, one of the largest estates in the county at the time. He secured a distinguished political career by serving in the Maryland Legislature for nearly a quarter of a century including twelve consecutive terms. Colonel Streett occupied the house until 1834.