Paul Baker Touart
Old Princess Anne Westover Road, Princess Anne, Somerset County
The Adams Farm consists of a 19th century frame house with Greek Revival trim that was enlarged and reconfigured with Late Victorian alterations in the third quarter of the century and Colonial Revival changes about 1900. Presently 2 1/2 stories high with a high pitched roof, the house is characterized on the exterior by asymmetrically placed 6/6 sash windows and doors, a two story gallery porch across the front, weatherboard siding, a telescope configuration, and interior corbeled brick chimneys. The facade or west elevation is asymmetrical and covered by a two-story engaged porch. The first floor of the porch is supported by Tuscan columns, probably dating to c. 1900, on brick plinths. The second floor has chamfered posts trimmed with decorative corner brackets. These posts and brackets probably date from the 1880s. Stretching between the posts on both floors are turned baluster railings. The facade has a large cross-gable roof with fishscale shingles, a round arched 2/2 sash window, and pierced bargeboards. On the interior, the floor plan is asymmetrical with Greek Revival, Late Victorian, and Colonial Revival decorative detailing. Although two of the principal rooms on the first floor were remodeled somewhat about 1950, the house, both inside and out, retains its historic character. Surrounding the house to the rear and side are numerous domestic and agricultural outbuildings most of which date from the late 19th century. The general setting of the property is relatively flat land with several mature trees and mid-20th century landscaping.
The Adams Farm is significant in comprising one of the two most complete collections of 19th century domestic and agricultural outbuildings and structures surviving in Somerset County. These types of buildings, in general, have an extremely high attrition rate due to modernization of life styles and changing agricultural practices. As a result, only fragments of complexes with one or two isolated structures characterize Somerset County farms today. Significance is also acquired from the architectural character of the house which at first glance reads as a late 19th century building, but actually is an enlarged and reshaped second quarter 19th century house with Greek Revival trim. Of particular significance here are the Late Victorian and Colonial Revival alterations that created a house with characteristics found primarily in the urban areas of the county and rarely in the country sections of this rural county on the lower Eastern Shore. The outbuildings and the alterations to the house reflect the changing patterns of lifestyle and agricultural life brought on by the technological developments of the 19th century.